Built on a hill overlooking Hirado Strait, the present Hirado Castle (also known as Kameoka Castle) was commissioned in 1704 by Matsura Takashi, the 30th head of the clan and the 5th Lord of Hirado. The design was heavily influenced by the military strategies of Yamaga Soko and the castle was completed in 1718 by Matsura Atsunobu, the 6th Lord of Hirado. Although it was dismantled during the Meiji Restoration, the main keep was restored in 1962 and was selected as one of Japan’s top 100 castles.
Come and see the latest repairs made to the castle during the Heisei era.